Favorite Films for the Coming Long Weekend

We’re coming to the end of the summer blockbuster season and I must confess I’m not sad about it. Of the summer’s releases my favorite was Rango, but the big budget, supersized special effects offerings didn’t do much for me. I’m not a movie snob. I like any genre–comedy, epic, animation, sci-fi and even horror. I’ll watch a movie at the theater, at home or even on a plane. I judge a movie by the writing, storyline and cinematography. I also like it when there is a surprise or two.

This Labor Day weekend I plan to spend some of my time relaxing with a good movie or two or three. How about you? Are movies going to be part of your holiday plans? If so I recommend the following:

Barry Lyndon (1975)
directed by Stanley Kubrick and starring Ryan O’Neal
Set in 18th-century England, it’s a period movie done in Stanley Kubrick’s quirky style.
Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi247005465/
Amélie (2001)
directed by Jean-Paul Jeunet and starring Audrey Tautou
I love the colors and imagery in this movie. It’s a visual treat as well as a touching story. It’s in French with subtitles.
Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2330460441/
Being There (1979)
directed by Hal Ashby and starring Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine, Jack Warden and Melvyn Douglas
This movie’s script is brilliant. It’s a “mistaken for greatness” story with fabulous wit and dry humor.
Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi489947929/
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
directed by Chris Columbus and starring Robin Williams, Sally Field and Pierce Brosnan
Who doesn’t love a good tale of cross-dressing? This is one of my favorite Robin Williams comedies with plenty of slapstick and hilarious lines.
Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2564882713/

So those are a few of my favorites. What do you suggest I add to my movie-watching list?

70 Responses to Favorite Films for the Coming Long Weekend

1. Mamie Trivette says:

I look forward to seeing your e-mails. Would love to have something growing. To old to do it and can’t afford to have it done. Enjoy looking at all your flowers.

2. Mamie Trivette says:

Watch
    The Lost Valentine” sad but love the movie

3. Lisa L. says:

One of my favorite movies is “Johnny English” starring Rowan Atkinson (a.k.a Mr. Bean). It’s a great James Bond type spoof / comedy about MI5 British intellegence discovering a plot to overthrow the Queen of England.

Another of my favorites is “October Sky” about a young man growing up in a West Virginia coal mining town who is fascinated with Dr. Werner VonBraun’s V2 rocket. The movie covers the struggles he faces to follow his dreams.

4. donna gagne says:

I agree with October Sky. It was wonderful and based on real people. I also love Mr Holland’s Opus. if I spelled it right.

5. Kim says:

Marie Antoinette – A feast for the eyes – the most beautiful movie I have ever seen! And it is a true story!

6. Debi Bushey says:

I love Wonderland with Val Kilmer…..dark subject but it just pulls you into the story….great music……then there’s the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice with Matthew MacFadyen and Kiera Knightly…. no girl can resist that epic tale.

7. Judy McMillan says:

Amazing Grace is still one of my favorite movies (starring Ioan Gruffudd and Albert Finney a true and moving story– and Silas Marner starring Ben Kingsley…

8. Marisa Kalt says:

“Benny and Joon” with Johnny Depp and Mary Stuart Masterson. Depp at his quirky best. Perfect ending, too.

• Linda says:

I have seen Benny & Joon a dozen times if once. I just absolutely LOVE that movie.

Try Second Hand Lions. Another great worth watching over and over.

• Sheila says:

“Second Hand Lions” is a big favorite of mine with a great story. My high school students begged to watch it again–that was amazing!

9. Daniel Deely says:

“Room With a View” is one of my favorite Ivory-Merchant films- a brilliant cast, a great romantic story and just about perfect fare for lovers of gardens and all things English. . . .

10. Georgina E Green says:

One of my all-time faves is Peter Sellers in “The Party”. For me, it guarantees chuckles and belly laughs.