Clever Chicken Coops

For more information on raising chickens read my column in this month’s AY magazine.

If there is one thing that people know about me, it’s that I love chickens! Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Black New Jersey Giants, I couldn’t pick a favorite if I tried. It’s important to have safe and stable housing for our feathered friends and there are so many alternatives to the standard chicken coop. Let’s take a look.

Here is a custom chicken coop that I built. The design of the coop makes it a pleasure to look at while providing a great home for my friends.

Beautiful and fully functional!

You never know when your environment may change; here is a mobile chicken coop I have at the Garden Home Retreat that can go just about anywhere because it is built on a trailer.

Take your coop with you wherever you go!

Here is one of my favorite chicken coops, the Chicken Tractor. It weeds and fertilizes your garden at the same time while providing great housing for your chickens.

This chicken tractor serves several important needs around the farm or garden.

I saw this coop at my friend Jerusalem’s (JollyGoodeGal.com) house. Her husband made it from old doors and windows.

Use your imagination! A chicken coop can also be a focal point in your garden

I hope these chicken coops inspire some great ideas for your own homes and gardens! For more information on unique chicken coops, visit my website at www.pallensmith.com.

10 Responses to Clever Chicken Coops

1. Cindy says:

How fun and inspiring!!

2. Deborah says:

I love the first Chicken House! I want to remodel mine in the spring now!

3. florist says:

You’re in point of fact a excellent webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing. It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a great activity on this topic!

4. Bruce grant says:

Why didnt you include plans for the chicken coops?

5. Mary T. says:

Thank you. I have a lovely chicken house but need a chicken run that will be safe and keep predators out. It’s difficult to find one that is pre-built that has a covered top. If anyone has any suggestions, it is appreciated.

• Debbie Brown says:

I think that Hardware cloth is an option. It’s more sturdy than chicken wire and comes in rolls of like 25 and or 50 feet long and 3 or 5 feet tall. I got like 5 rolls of the so I could line the inside/outside (depending on spot needed) of a chicken coop in progress and to make a hail-proof cover for my garden. It worked these last 2 years to protect my little green house, while our house roof needed to be replaced due to an especially sever hail storm that hit our neighborhood, and the trailing edge of another the following evening.

• Tricia says:

I love the new plastic chicken wire, it’s much lighter and easier to use than the old stuff. We also use landscape cloth in the summer to shade the hens. Keeps them a lot cooler.

• Bob Daniel says:

While not “prefab,” you might consider using hog panels (@ 4′ high and 16′ long) covered with poultry netting. They are heavy gauge, fairly rigid, long lasting and can be tied together with small pieces of wire ( baling wire,pieces of wire coat hangers, etc) or with hog rings. The hog panels have graduating spacing on one side which will increase security for the chickens if placed on the ground side. (Cattle panels are similar, but with uniform grids).

6. Kim says:

Very nice but I think the one thats made of windows and doors is not to safe.

7. Judy Bunch says:

Great website. Please add me to your blog.
    Love your show, too!, Allen