August Bloom – Salvia

Silent all summer the late-season salvias in my garden are starting to sing this month. Drought-tolerant, long-blooming and vibrant I rely on salvias, or sages as they are sometimes called, to turn up the color volume from August through the first freeze in late autumn.

Salvia 'Sparkler Red'

Saliva 'Sparkler Red', Marigold 'Tiger Eye' and Pineapple Sage 'Golden Delicious'

I love the scent of pineapple sage. This image was shot in October and as you can see the salvias are still showing off.

Salvia 'Wendy's Wish', ColorBlaze Limelife Coleus, and Salvia 'Blue Bedder'

Autumn sage (Saliva greggi)

Mexican Sage 'Santa Barbara' (Salvia leucantha)

Hummingbird sage (Salvia guaranitica)

9 Responses to August Bloom – Salvia

1. jan says:

Will silva grow in rocky soil and how much sun does it need?

2. Sally McCullum says:

Salvia’s are my favorite for appearance, smell, feel. They are the best flowers for a garden.

3. Patrick Herrington says:

A true landscape workhorse if you have significant sun. Lots of color…Very little fuss… Very few predators… Birds, bees, hummingbirds in our area of Louisiana constantly competing for the flowers. What a show..Hooray for salvia!

4. nancy says:

Nice to see the salvia featured. I planted the traditional “firecracker red” variety (not too tall) here in northern Indiana in a narrow border on side of the house, paired with white, fragrant allyssum in front of it. Very showy and doing well. They really took off this past month and glad to hear they will go into October. Have had the pineapple sage and love it; must get some next yr. Is not always readily available. Really does smell like pineapple!!!

5. L. Lyle says:

Spotted some potted salvias on sale at a garden center the other day. Sometimes I find it easier to buy pots rather than start with seed, especially when you have forgotten to plant the seed earlier. Allen, thanks for the other post, appreciate it.

6. KATHY says:

Someday I’ll have a yard full of continual blooms from spring til fall.

7. Kathy Wiggins says:

Salvia is my favorite summer flower. Here in the Pacific Northwest it flourishes in full sun with a little moisture.

8. Elizabeth says:

Thank you Allen for your salvia color inspiration. One of my favorite salvia is “Limelight”. I greatly enjoyed a visit to salvia guru Betsy Clebsch’ San Francisco area garden a few years ago — readers might want to check out her books. I concur with Kathy – my current Northwest garden likes salvia too!

9. Donna says:

Are all these Salvias Annuals or Perennials? They are beautiful!