A big trend in fashion last year was color-blocking; combining blocks of colors in one article of clothing or outfit. It was a big hit that seems to have carried over to 2012. So I got to thinking, why not color-block containers? The same principles that apply to fashion can be used in the garden. Just plant one color flowers and foliage per container. If you really want to take the idea to heart select a bright container to contrast with your plantings. Or choose a neutral hue for the pot to really make the flowers pop.
All About Blue
Blue is my favorite color for the garden. For harmonious pairings choose other cool colors like green, turquoise and purple. Fuchsia is even a good match. Jazz up blue with contrasting hues like orange and yellow.
In this Container:
- Proven Winners® Graceful Grasses® Blue Mohawk (Juncus inflexus)
- Proven Winners® Sweet Caroline Light Green Sweet Potato Vine
- Proven Winners® Colorblaze™ Alligator Tears Coleus
- Proven Winners® Decadence ‘Blueberry Sundae’ Baptisia
- Proven Winners® Laguna™ Sky Blue Lobelia
- Proven Winners® Graceful Grasses® Fiber Optic Grass (Scirpus cernus)
- Proven Winners® Color Spires® Steel Blue Agastasche
Passionate about Purple
Purple is the number one color choice for gardeners. It looks great with orange or chartreuse. Keep it cool with green, fuchsia or varying shades of purple.
In this Container:
- Proven Winners® Artist® Purple Ageratum
- Proven Winners® Graceful Grasses® Purple Fountain Grass (Pennisetum setaceum ‘Rubrum’)
- Proven Winners® Superbells® Plum Calibrachoa
- Proven Winners® Supertunia® Lavender Skies
- Proven Winners® Senorita Rosalita® Cleome
Pink is a chameleon that can be both warm and cool. Color-block it with yellow, blue or orange. It also looks great with bright green and chartreuse.
In these Containers:
- Proven Winners® Flying Colors® Trailing Antique Rose Diascia
- Proven Winners® Supertunia® Vista Bubblegum Petunia
- Proven Winners® Karalee® Petite Pink Butterfly Flower (Gaura lindheimeri)
- Proven Winners® Superbena® Pink Parfait Verbena
- Proven Winners® Molimba® Pink Argyranthemum