February Bloom: Camellia Japonica

One of the showiest blooms in a Southern garden makes its appearance in late February when everything else is still asleep. It’s the Camellia japonica, cousin to the autumn flowering Camellia sasanqua. While sasanquas tend to be delicate, Camellia japonica is a bold, fleshy flower that screams, “Look at me!”

With their dark, evergreen leaves Camellias make beautiful hedges and the blooms create a seasonal focal point.

33 Responses to February Bloom: Camellia Japonica

1. Gary J says:

That’s it? No article?

2. Deborah Cripple says:

These are beautiful!!!!!!! :)

3. Judy Hardy says:

The Camellia’s are too beautiful for words!!!

4. Susan Tipton says:

Wish you had put varity names with each picture, so I would know what to ask for at the nursery.

5. Maybelline says:

I was unsuccessful growing camellias here in zone 8-9 California.

6. Helen Clark says:

Love your beautiful garden of Camellia Japonica. The color is out of this world.

7. Paul Lankford says:

My late Great-aunt Lavinia founded the Tidewater Camellia Society here in Virginia back in the 1940′s. She lived for camellias, and my parents always made certain to visit her in February each year to see the hundreds of flowering camellia bushes that surrounded her lovely home. Alas, I paid little if any attention then as a child. But twenty years ago in my early forties, I fell in love with camellias and at this moment have my own large collection coming into glorious bloom under the sheltering tall pines in an acre of naturalistic plantings. No doubt Aunt Lavinia looks on now and smiles.

• Cheryl Mohr says:

Paul, I am so thankful for your post. I fell in love with Camellias when I first spotted them at a local nursery and planted several in my yard. However, to my disappointment they did not live long. Your post mentioned your Camellias are planted under ‘sheltering tall pines’ in a naturalistic area. I realize now I may have planted mine in the wrong place in my yard as they were in full sun (in Florida). I plan to try again, only this time I will place them in a more ‘naturalistic’ area of my yard under towering trees. I want to thank you for giving me hope that I will be able to once again enjoy this beloved plant!

• Beatrix Walker says:

So lovely, thank you for sharing!

8. My favorite flower..My wedding bouquet was white camellia’s..that was Valentines Day 1953…My husband tried to have the bouquet duplicated for our anniversary, but they are no longer available in floral shops in the mid west..

9. Jeanna says:

50 years ago, I paid for my wedding flowers and the florist gave me a beautiful pink camellia. The camellia seem so exotic here in Ohio. You are so lucky to be able to grow them. Love the pictures!! Think Spring Ohio!!!