Fertilizer Test

Whew. What a summer. It’s like Mother Nature has a magnifying glass pointed right at the central U.S. Here in Arkansas the growing season started about a month early this year. We were planting tomatoes in March and by the end of May it was as hot as July.

When the forecast is hot and dry for the foreseeable future the best thing for the vegetable garden is consistent, even moisture and an organic, water soluble or slow release fertilizer that won’t over stimulate heat and drought stressed plants.

My fertilizer of choice for edibles is Jobe’s Organics Vegetables and Tomatoes. It’s organic, but produces quick results. The granular and stakes are slow release and there is a new water soluble version too that’s perfect for our current weather.

The reason Jobe’s is my choice is it’s organic and it works. I can see the difference in the health of my plants and the flavor of the vegetables they produce.

This year I decided to put Jobe’s to the test to see how vegetables fed with Jobe’s matched up to those that went without. In early May I set up an experiment by planting two 6’x6’ raised beds with tomatoes and peppers. I added Jobe’s Organics Vegetables and Tomatoes granular fertilizer to the experimental bed and left the control bed unfertilized.

Over the summer, I’ve continued feeding with Jobe’s Organics water soluble. It’s easy to do with a hose end feeder, but you can also mix it up in a watering can.

In spite of the horrendous heat (11 days of near 100 and above 100 degree temperatures), both beds have continued producing a harvest, but the Jobe’s tomatoes and peppers are more robust and flavorful.

Are you curious how your vegetable garden would perform with Jobe’s Organics Vegetables and Tomatoes? Tell me how your garden is growing in the comments below for a chance to win a bag! Congratulations to Christine! She’s the winner of the Jobe’s Organics Fertilizer. Thank you to everyone for entering. Sounds like the heat and drought aren’t keeping you guys out of the garden!

Click here to find a store in your area that sells Jobe’s Organics.

150 Responses to Fertilizer Test

1. Rhonda Curbo says:

I had an abundance of tomatoes early in the season, but no amount of water could keep them more than barely alive. I guess city water has too much chlorine for them. They are still alive, but just barely. My peppers are still growing and have made very pretty plants. However, there is little fruit. The basil is doing GREAT, though! It must like the heat, and it attracts honeybees when it blooms.

Rain please . . .

2. Kathy says:

this heat has taken a toll on my garden! My zuchinni has sizzled and my tomatoes are getting a big black rot spot….but the lemon cucumbers have taken over and begun an invasion into the neighbors yard! I am so ready for FALL and pretty mums and pumpkins!

3. Roberta says:

I don’t know if my email was sent or if I accidentally deleted it.
    I would love to try Jobes Organic Fertilizer for my vegetables!

My garden has done incredibly well in spite of the unbearable heat, 120 in the shade in our back yard, and I was very late planting this year.

We put a load of compost (from a mushroom plant about 70 miles from our hometown) in our garden and it was the best thing we could have done for that tired old soil. My tomatoes and peppers are still doing very well although they are starting to show some end rot. I put crushed eggshells around the tomatoes that have end rot and bonemeal and eggshells around the peppers. I’ve only gotten two eggplants and had a zucchini plant that was very productive until it got borers.

I have a small greenhouse so the only plants I purchased were four “Champion” tomatoes and four jalapeno plants. I thought it would be fun to try growing some different things in my garden. I have three celery plants and two artichoke plants that survived the seed plantings. I think I planted the artichokes too late because they just don’t seem to be getting as tall as they are supposed to but it is fun watching the celery grow. Maybe the artichokes need the Jobes Fertilizer…

4. Susan Shrum says:

I would love to try Jobe’s Organics! This year I experimented with a rooftop garden using Grow Box self-fertilizing planters after reading your blog about them a few months ago. Results have been great for the Pacific Northwest climate, but I would like to substitute an organic fertilizer next year to see if it compares. Sign me up!

5. kay wolter says:

My garden needs to be updated and cared for…

6. Nancy Avery says:

Would like to join the organice band wagon, please convince me, thanks!

7. Liz Mitchell says:

Mid-Missouri has certainly been hot + dry! Our community garden had a tour at the end of June so we got into a watering routine early enough to prevent too many problems from drought. The heat, however, has prevented some crops from setting fruit. When we get a cool night or 2 (below 70 F) I get a cucumber or 2 forming, then the hotter nights come + the cukes don’t. Beans have been less plentiful than usual. On the other hand, my okra, eggplant, + peppers have been very prolific + seem to love the heat.

8. David B Gadberry says:

Our tomato plants are producing after the hot dry summer in southern Indiana. Had to keep watering and feeding daily/monthly. My cukes took the blow! My rose bushes seem to enjoy the heat by producing flowers in abundance. Thanks

9. Ronna F says:

The extreme heat has affected my garden this year. I’m getting some tomatoes, peppers and zucchini. My cucumbers have done very well! I made Bread and Butter Pickles twice! I think I could use this fertilizer! It would help me a lot!

10. Ruby Edmondson says:

I have large staked tomatoes plants with no tomatoes on them. Please help.

Thank you.