Dig In!

Congratulations to Cathy Bradford! She’s the winner of the “Clouds of Pink Garden.” Thank you to everyone who entered. Everyone in the office loves reading your comments.

It takes a lot of faith to plant a bulb in fall and trust it will grow and bloom the following spring. Patience too! Fortunately I have plenty of both because tulips are one of my favorite flowers. How about you? Tell me about the spring flowering bulbs you love the most for a chance to win my Clouds of Pink Bulb Garden.

I’ll select a winner at random on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 9:00 a.m. CST.

Use the comment form below to answer. Click here for the official rules.

There are 3 other bulb garden designs in my collection. All are available at independent garden centers. Check them out.

207 Responses to Dig In!

1. Sandra says:

I like “snowbells” best. They come when the snow is ready to leave and I am always ready for that to happen anytime after Christmas. Next are the tulips which come in so many varities that I like.

2. Maureen Harrod says:

My favoriet spring flower’s are tulip’s. I enjoy all the colors but red is the best.

3. The awakening of spring with burst of color of tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils show us the hope that comes after a time that is sometimes bleak and blustery in the winter. I love bulbs.

My parents had a large tulip patch. They are both gone. These need replanted so that the patch will once again as the flowers did for them.

I like light pinks and the Pink Don Quijotte (?).

Thank you.

Joyce

4. Jennifer Johnson says:

I love the crocus! I like to plant them in my lawn and they look like Easter eggs peeking out thru the grass. :) They tell me spring has finally arrived!

5. Isabel Hoh says:

The tall alliums always stops me in my tracks. In different shades of purple and white, they are the lollipop of eye candy in spring blooms. They have returned yearly in my spring garden and stand proud and graceful for weeks among the trusty yellow and white daffodils. Last year. I finally added anemones along my garden path and I can’t get enough of these cheery, colorful gems. I don’t know why I waited so long to plant them.

6. Tracey Putnam Culver says:

Each spring, I am enthralled by the little bulbs of Siberian squill (Scilla siberica) naturalized by the thousands in my front lawn. Cerulean blue, pale with age or dark in youth, they reflect the blue sky back to me from their lowly spot on the ground. In places, they combine with Crocus tommasinianus, which adds a lovely lavender to the party. Backed by early yellow narcissus, this planting resembles a lovely water color. Both the scilla and the crocus self-sow; every year there are more to enjoy. Natural beauty, with little effort!

7. Cathy Bradford says:

I always await the first blooming of my Crina Donna Lily that my Aunt gave me as a “Pass Along” plant after my Dad passed away. It brings such joy to me when the first flower blooms!

8. karyl conard says:

I’m a novice gardener whose front yard project has grown and grown. My bulbs are the first green I see each spring and I rejoice for each one that pops up as winter eases up on us in Rose Hill, Kansas. I enjoy all of them and find it hard to name one as a favorite. But my grape hyacinths are so dainty that I love seeing them peeping up amongst the tulips. I planted most of my bulbs using the stack method with biggest bulbs below and smaller ones on top of the same holes because I could dig fewer holes that way and it’s proved to be a lot of fun seeing them arise in succession!

9. darlene says:

I like to plant dafodills b/c they seem to come back year after year. Also love the little purple grape hyacynth. This is a great combination b/c of the colors! Happy fall after such a hot summer.

10. Betsy Durward says:

I love daffodils! My mom used to call them Daffo-down-dillies! They are just relentless is coming back year after year! I discovered that even in my Ocean Beach, San Diego garden where it rarely ever had a frost, those daffodowndilles came back with no effort on my part. Now, here in Eagle, Idaho the daffodils are even more excited to return in the Spring!