Dig In!

Congratulations to Cathy Bradford! She’s the winner of the “Clouds of Pink Garden.” Thank you to everyone who entered. Everyone in the office loves reading your comments.

It takes a lot of faith to plant a bulb in fall and trust it will grow and bloom the following spring. Patience too! Fortunately I have plenty of both because tulips are one of my favorite flowers. How about you? Tell me about the spring flowering bulbs you love the most for a chance to win my Clouds of Pink Bulb Garden.

I’ll select a winner at random on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 9:00 a.m. CST.

Use the comment form below to answer. Click here for the official rules.

There are 3 other bulb garden designs in my collection. All are available at independent garden centers. Check them out.

207 Responses to Dig In!

1. Jackie says:

I have to say there is nothing more exciting then waiting on the bulbs to emerge in the spring. I have to say that seeing large quantities Tulips, hyacinths , and jonquils makes my heart smile.

2. Texas winters are, unfortunately, not cold enough for tulips to naturalize. The earliest naturalized bulbs are Paper Whites (Narcissus). I have childhood memories of Paper Whites in our yard, my grandmother’s, and the neighbors’. When the Paper Whites appear, spring is on its way!

3. MARGARET WITT says:

The first time I saw you put tulips in a container, I was amazed and had to try it.. Red with yellow tips and I was rewarded two-fold. Not only did they put on a show for me but that April our son was getting married in our back yard but they were lovely for the wedding. Also for bouquets on the tables too.
    Maggey

4. Judith Reith-Rozelle says:

The bright yellows, sunny golds, and creams of the daffodils are so heartening each spring. I nice swath of pink, rose, dark purple and yellow tulips can not be beat for a spring pick-up, when one has had the winter blues. What can you really say. In Wisconsin we all wait for the spring bulbs to begin their bloom

Judy Reith-Rozelle

5. Karen Newbern says:

I’ve never had much luck with tulips – the deer just love them too much – so my yard is filled with daffodils. This year, however, I’m planting a lot of blue Scilla in honor of my father-in-law. He used to fave lots of them in his yard, but he hasn’t had any success getting them established at his new home. He is now battling pancreatic cancer, and I’m hoping that he’ll still be with us to see these little beauties in bloom next spring.

6. Fran Rogers says:

I’m afraid I love all the spring ephemerals, but among my favorites are ipheion, Campernelle and medeoluteus and other species daffodils, and of course grape hyacinths. These are just so wonderfully reliable in Texas.

7. Lois Bard says:

I have to say that my most favorite spring flower is the peony. It is difficult to surpass the beauty and fragrance of the flower in all its varieties. I have about 35 plants in my small yard that bloom from about April through May. In Oregon, the really early flowers are crocus, daffodils, hyacinth and tulips, as they really start coming up just after New Years. I have yellow daffodils planted where I can see them from my kitchen window and they always brighten my day. They come up and bloom first. I also have some giant red tulips planted next to them. I could hardly believe how huge they were. I always plant in bunches, or mass, as I feel it is so much more beautiful to have a group. But I have a place along a path that needs planting this Fall and I think these pink tulips would be perfect. It also happens to be my pink and lavender “outdoor space” which includes rhododendrum, crepe myrtle (Zuni), a small Sechel Pear tree, and some peonies. It does have some shade so I hope that will still work for the tulips.

8. Maria says:

I love them all! After the long winter here, any green popping out of the ground makes me as happy as all get out. Hyacinth, Muscari, and the tiny Scilla are probably my favorite, but I do love tulips, as my grandmother did.

9. Rita Milam says:

My favorite early spring flower is the tulip. There is nothing quite like seeing a flower garden full of coloful tulips planted in the previous fall season.

10. Glenda Stuart says:

I would have to pick tulips, I love all the different edges and shapes you can buy. I will have to re-plant this year since my dog Jake loves all my flower beds and digging other holes wherever he thinks might make a great hole, he is a Siberian Huskey, and takes regular dips in fish pond.