For the Love of Roses

My love affair with roses began at Arley Hall, so I guess you could say that Lady Elizabeth Ashbrook was my matchmaker. She curated such a wonderful collection of roses, most of them old-fashioned varieties. She was truly an inspiration to me.

One of the many things I find fascinating about roses is their heritage—it’s so interesting to me to look at the evolution of this most-famous flower, particularly how American roses have evolved. The first American class of roses was the Noisettes, bred in Charleston during the early 19th century. And it just so happens that my passion for roses also introduced me to one of my dearest friends, rosarian Ruth Knopf. Also of Charleston, she and I share a particular affinity for the Noisettes.

Now, fast forward to 2000 when another breakthrough rose was about to be introduced to America—The Knock Out® Rose. It was created by William Radler to be disease resistant, cold hardy, heat tolerant and incredibly floriferous. And indeed it is—along with the six other varieties that have since been introduced— as it produces a bevy of blooms every five weeks or so from spring until the first frost.

So what do Noisette roses and The Knock Out® Family of Roses have in common? Well for one thing, they’re all going to be showcased in the new rose garden we’ve installed at the Garden Home Retreat. The Knock Out® Family of Roses will be planted in multiples, with like colors and varieties being grouped together for what I think will be an absolute visual treat.

I’m looking forward to when we officially open the rose garden on Saturday May 14 at the Tale of Two Farms Herb & Roses Festival. Peggy Cornett, curator of plants at Monticello, will be on hand for the festivities. She’ll also be giving a free lecture at the Clinton School of Public Service at noon on May 13, and the topic is one I’m especially looking forward to—“Historic Roses at Monticello.” I hope to see you there!

Plot plan of the rose garden.

The entry gates were constructed by Stuart Schild. He designed them around a gate bonnet I found in a junk shop ages ago.

The pavillions are inspired by outbuildings I saw at the Aiken-Rhett House in Charleston.

The Double Knock Out Rose looks lovely paired with The Pink Double Knock Out Rose.

The Pink Double Knock Out Rose planted en masse.

The Double Knock Out Rose

24 Responses to For the Love of Roses

1. Janet Spooner says:

Lovely, lovely design. I am hopeless when it comes to roses but I’m going to try some of the knock-outs. You have inspired me!

2. Hey Allen,

It took me a while to embrace the Knockouts probably for the overuse of the original red with Stella D’Oro daylillies. But I love the pinks against the new burgundy foilage.

A little Cliff Claven of Cheers fact. The original seed pod that launched a revolution produced only one viable seed. And we can all thank that one seed for incredible displays including your new garden.

Best of Luck with your project as you say on your show to others.

3. Syble says:

Hi I located your website by mistake when i was searching Bing for this issue, I have to point out your site is truly valuable I also love the theme, it is cool!

4. Jean Williams says:

Hi Allen i just got my first knock out rose for mother day.And i was wondering will in grow in flower pot because i live in an apartment complex.but l love my roses and i hope that they will live

• Yes, your Knockout roses will thrive in containers.I’ve had them in containers for years and the are very happy …just keep them watered and fed. I feed mine with Knockout Rose food from Jobes as it is organic.
      Good Luck!

5. Bibiano says:

It’s going to be end of mine day, however before ending I am reading this
    impressive article to improve my knowledge.

6. new says:

” The album will also feature a Spanish version of the song ‘More’ (titled ‘Mas’). In June 2013, Chvrches made their US TV debut performing “The Mother We Share” on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. This TV episode downloads revolve
    around a “saints and sinners” masquerade ball thrown by Chuck at the Empire Hotel.

7. It operated two daily round trip excursions, except on Sundays, on the 65-mile run from the
    Weirs at 08:00 and 13:00, calling at Bear
    Island, Center Harbor, Wolfeboro, and Alton Bay.
    A good majority move down from the cold up north to our beautiful, white sandy beaches.

A form of the herb licorice, called deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL),
    was explored for canker sores in a small study.

8. This is not to create stress or pressure but you need to have a definite and precise plan. You possess so much flexibility and can do anything and everything
    that appeals to you, which you will not be able to do in normal level-based
    game titles. Well I honestly love this forum for several reasons.

9. Genia says:

Although you’re taking a risk, you can attempt this on your
    own. To take hold of this gentle wisdom and to remember that if I let go and be held by Mother Nature’s ebb and flow that I too will be brought back to pools of stillness.
    A form of the herb licorice, called deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), was explored for canker sores in a small study.

10. I was suggested this web site through my cousin. I’m now not
    certain whether or not this submit is written by
    him as no one else recognise such distinctive about my
    problem. You are amazing! Thanks!