Lemon Verbena

Lemon verbena with its sugary lemon scent is an herb you’ll want to have in your garden for the fragrance and flavor. And plant it somewhere close! It’s one of those plants that release scent every time you touch the leaves.

Lemon verbena is a shrubby herb with loose, twisting branches and bright green foliage. It can grow to 6 feet tall by 8 feet wide where it is perennial (zones 8 – 11). In my zone 7 garden it stays a little more contained because I grow it in a pot that I move indoors for winter. It’s a fast grower that needs full sun and excellent drainage – too much water will rot the roots! Lemon verbena has a sweet lemon flavor – I tend to use it with desserts and as a seasoning for meat dishes, but I also love placing it near my outdoor living areas so I can enjoy its lemony scent. In fact, it was its lemony scent that led me to make this lemon verbena infused honey, and I can’t wait for you to try it.

What you’ll need

• A few stems of lemon verbena, cleaned and dried
  • 1 mason jar
  • Honey

All it takes is a little herb-tidying. Pluck the lemon verbena leaves off of their stems, rinse them, and dry them with a paper towel. Loosely fill a mason jar with the leaves and then pour the honey over the top. While you may want to try it right away, put the jar in a cupboard for a few weeks to infuse. After two weeks strain the honey to remove the leaves.

You’ll end up with a lovely lemon-flavored honey that you can stir into tea, drizzle over nuts or cheese, or use as a sweetener.

Do you want to know more about this great herb? Jump over to the Bonnie Plants website to read about growing lemon verbena.

11 Responses to Lemon Verbena

1. Cheryl says:

Can lemon verbena be grown in zone 5?

• Christl Upchurch says:

I live in Zone 5 in Kansas and have huge bushes of lemon verbena growing under my deck with morning sun. In the Fall, I cut them down and dry many of the leaves to add to tea during the Winter. The following year new growth appears, I can’t even kill the plant, it just grows in abundance, actually between Missouri river rock. The bushes appeared one year, after seeds fell through the cracks of the wooden deck. I love the scent and will try today to make the lemon verbena honey recipe.

2. Adele says:

I love using lemon verbena in all things I want with a strong lemon flavor. Try using it in cakes and cookies or making ice cream with it.
    Just infuse the liquid in the recipe first, cool and proceed.

It is also great in marinades and rubs.

• Hello there, simply was alert to your weblog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate in case you proceed this in future. Lots of other folks can be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

3. I am very interested in conversations about painting. You have a similar take on art. I find sharing ideas and composition with other artists very inspiring. My painting style continues to evolve as I get older. I have moved away from realism and now leave that to the camera. Now I start with a scene for my idea and at some point I abandon that. That is when the real creativity takes over. Color has become more dominant in my paintings and after all ,painting a picture is just getting light and dark in the right place. I am now teaching myself landscapes and it is a blast. Laurie Yarnes

• Linda L. says:

I agree. I would like to see Allen take some time to share with us his approach to the canvas. I know he prefers watercolors, but does he explore other forms of expression, such as clay or metal? When does he find time to paint? Laurie, I am glad you have discovered your passion. I use to paint many years ago, it has only been a few months ago I was inspired by someone, and rediscovered it. My approach is so different than what it was. My subject matter has also changed. Keep exposing yourself to others’ works and keep experimenting. It will keep your work exciting and alive!

• I too wish he did an art blog. I have found some great subject matter in my own yard. I read that he uses a limited pallet. I am experimenting with some of the pallets used by old masters and the impressionists. I still have my favorites. David DUNLOP has some great you tube instructional videos. They are quite motivational. He was on the Create channel for awhile. Laurie Yarnes

• I have read several just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you place to create any such great informative web site.

4. jan says:

can lime verbena be substituted for lemon verbena in recipes?

5. carol says:

I wish you’d show a photo of the plant…it would be so helpful!!