Who’s Got the Best Strawberries?

The Fruit Gardener's Bible

Congratulations to Fran Danner! You’re the winner of The Best Strawberry Giveaway. Your cautionary tale of eating strawberries that you should be saving for shortcake made me laugh. I’m sending you a copy of The Fruit Gardener’s Bible.

Thank you for all your comments. It was a joy to read each of them. There’s something comforting in the fact that so many of you can remember the taste of an exceptional strawberry from 20, 30 and even 60 years ago!

It’s so close to strawberry season I can almost taste the strawberry shortcake. I’m a little biased but I think the best strawberries are grown right here in Arkansas. Care to challenge me on that? Tell me about the best strawberries you’ve ever eaten for a change to win a copy of The Fruit Gardener’s Bible by Lewis Hill and Leonard Perry. If you’re interested in growing fruits of any type this is a handy reference to have around.

Strawberry Tip from The Fruit Gardener’s Bible

• Everbearing and day neutral strawberries are the best choice for growing in hanging baskets.
  • Plant strawberries with the crown sitting at soil level. Too deep encourages disease; too high and they’ll dry out.
  • Alpine strawberries, Fragaria vesca, produce small, intensely flavorful berries all summer. They spread by seed and don’t produce runners. Great for partial shade.

57 Responses to Who’s Got the Best Strawberries?

1. Thomas Hayde says:

Growing up in outside Eureka Springs in Carroll County Arkansas, we knew without a doubt that the best strawberries in the world were grown in Clifty, Arkansas. We were also sure that they got shipped straight to New York City because they were the best, and that we would never taste one unless we ventured into Booger County and picked some ourselves before they shipped them all to NYC. Each spring we made the pilgrimage, ate our fill, and got over on the city folk just a little…..

2. Rosemary Hagen says:

My son and daughter-in-love’s garden produced an abundant harvest all summer long last year with the sweetest, juiciest and largest strawberries ever. They have a big garden in Richmond, Virginia and had so many strawberries, they gave friends and neighbors gifts of the luscious berries. They were the best ever!!

3. Linda says:

Ann Schulz has it right–Hood River Strawberries in Oregon are the best. Ask my relatives who visited from NC–my mom had to agree the Hoods were the best she had ever eaten. Ann is also right that they are very fragile and cannot be shipped other than frozen or crushed into sauce. They have a short growing period as well which makes them even more special and sought-after. Haagen-Daz agreed and uses Oregon strawberries in their strawberry ice cream. Hood berries are amazing and I’m lucky to live where they are available.

4. I love the Strawberries from Florida and Tennessee .I’m sure other states have great berries but these are the best that I’ve had. I wish California could add some flavor and sweetness into their huge variety of berries ,they are big and pretty but might as well eat cardboard for the flavor they have.

5. V.K. Reiter says:

The most glorious strawberries I ever ate were during a trek through a woods in France. Small, wild strawberries grew everywhere and when picked exuded the most intense berry fragrance I’d ever experienced. We gathered handsfull of the fruit and returned to the little house where we had come for the weekend. Our hostess barely rinsed the fruit in tepid water and let them drain in a colander set over a deep bowl. The water dripping off them was pale rose in color. She already had a bowl of cool creme fraiche to add to the berries, which she did in small dollops. The very first mouthful was exquisite, so intense that no creme fraiche was needed; indeed, it interfered with the pure wild concentrated berry-ness of the fruit. We ate a few at a time, knowing that we were extending our enjoyment of something rare enough to be rationed in that manner. Of course the next day we returned to the edge of the woods and stripped it every wild strawberry we could find, greedy for that pleasure again and not caring that we may be ending the short season days too soon.

6. M. J. Fleming says:

The best strawberries I’ve ever tasted have always come from my neighbors garden. Two years ago she gave me plants from her garden when she seperated some older plants. Now the most beautiful, vine ripened, best tasting strawberries come from my garden too!

7. pat magala says:

i think that wherever you live has the best strawberries. this is true because the berries can wait closer to ripeness to bepicked and they are not shipped milesssssss before you get to eat them. the closer to your home the better they will taste.

8. Linda L. says:

You are right, the best strawberries I ever had came from Arkansas. When I was a kid, we would drive down to Rogers to pick strawberries in my great uncle Orville’s garden. I would eat as many as I could but I was suppose to fill up the bucket he gave me. After we got done picking them, my mom and aunt would help my great uncle and his wife make preserves. We would do this for two days and then drive home. We brought home some of the preserves and some fresh berries. I always picked more berries just prior to getting into the car before we left.

9. Pungo strawberries are the best because they are sweet as sugar and as big as golf balls (sometimes). We pick our strawberries at Flanagan Farms. They are juicy but firm. They are bright red through to the center. My boys are always excited to go to the “pick your own field.” I am surprised the Flanagans have not weighed my children with our containers because I am sure my sons eat some of their profit. It is especially exciting to sample every strawberry food and drink imaginable at the annual Pungo Strawberry festival. There is even a “witch” of Pungo that takes part in the parade!

10. Katy says:

I agree with you Mr. Smith, Arkansas berries are the best. My favorite memory I have of eating a strawberry is from my parents’ home garden. My sisters and I would pick and pick- so many berries we couldn’t put them all up and so would give them to the neighbors.

still warm from the sun
    juice running on down my chin
    strawberry memories