Christmas Comes Early

“What do you do every day?” It’s a question I’ve been asked, always politely, throughout my entire career. And it is a fair question. Do I spend all my time in the garden, making recipes, or choosing paint colors? Do I have an army of workers running crazy while I sit back and drink hot cocoa? Do I spend one day a week writing, another filming, another speaking, and another managing my farm?

Honestly, it’s a little bit of each of those (with the exception of the hot cocoa. In Arkansas there is a small window of time when it’s cold enough to drink hot cocoa.). The average week involves all of those details, but usually there’s a little something extra thrown into the mix.

Recently, it was shooting a commercial for my Holiday Collection with Berry Family of Nurseries. Filming is a part of daily life at the Garden Home, but we decided to rent out a studio for a new look for this commercial.

Here are a few things I learned about making commercials:

You have to take your shoes off when walking on an all-white set, otherwise you track dirt onto the set. If you do it correctly, though, the magic of television can turn an empty set into a fully decorated room in the snap of a finger.

It’s better to just bring most of the shirts in your closet, because you never know what is “holiday appropriate,” especially when it’s still 80 degrees outside.

Even a small amount of greenery can get you into the Christmas spirit, especially when the greenery was flown in just that morning from the Cascade Mountains in western Oregon.

It takes a lot of people to make a commercial come together. Luckily, I’ve got a very talented crew.

Five hours, three cups of coffee, one rented studio, a dozen set changes, 10 different wreaths, and a crew of 8 people later, we had a commercial.

Well, let me rephrase that. We had the footage for a commercial, and now it falls to the editing team back at the office. And I will say this much- I can’t wait to see what they produce.

9 Responses to Christmas Comes Early

1. Diane says:

You are one amazing, talented, entertaining celebrity Allen. I often ask myself, “when does this man sleep?”

2. Lois Myers-Bauer says:

I would love to be a Lady Cardinal on your set and just watch and chirp once in a while!

3. Linda L. says:

When I was a young teen, I modeled, and you always wore out of season clothes. It was swimwear when it was cold and woolies in late summer for the fall preview. In those days, we didn’t have the cool lights the studios have today. It was hot no matter what your wore. I hope you got everything shot for this commercial, and your editors don’t say they need more footage. Nothing like having to do it again. At least your staff is always kept busy. (You know I love that purple plaid shirt.)

4. marlene says:

Allen
    SoCal is my habitat
    You’ve stated that you’ve done work here so you know conditions are unique
    The principles are the same but other things differ
    Adapting your ideas is a challenge but fun
    Marlene

5. Maureen says:

Allen, excellent job. You always have such great ideas.

6. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing26 your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!…

7. Pamela says:

LOVE IT! Great job!

8. Mary says:

Do you know when they will be available in the stores or can you order them directly from Berry Nurseries?