Plant a Tree!

Is it really time for New Year’s resolutions again? I’ve got one to add to your list. Plant a tree.

While January isn’t the ideal time to plant a tree you can start planning and commit to plant a tree this spring or fall. Stop in at your local independent garden center to learn about suitable trees for your region and the best planting time. If you don’t have room in your garden, consider planting a tree at a hospital, school, or nursing home. Get your neighborhood association together to plant trees around the community.

And there’re just as many reasons as there are places to plant trees. I can’t think of a better way to honor or remember someone, or celebrate a special occasion, than by planting a tree. It’s because trees play such an important role in our environment, and our daily lives.

This New Year make a resolution to plant a tree. And stick to it! It’s a gift for future generations.

13 Responses to Plant a Tree!

1. Perry Iacono says:

I really enjoy you show on PBS and have been watching for years. I also enjoy the web site very much. Happy New Year!

2. J Kenton Moore Jr says:

Allen January is the IDEAL time to plant any hardy Tree or Shrub
    in the New Orleans area.

3. Happy New Year to you and yours I’m looking forward to another wonderful growing year with all of you at P Allen Smith Garden Home Annie

4. Bill Ridlehoover says:

I agree that January can be ideal for planting trees, but you better be prepared for the cold.
    In the preparation stage you should go to your local forestry commision for very quality and very cheap yearling varieties. They have already done the leg work with local nurseries and found shrub, hardwood and pine varieties that will work in your area.
    Great New Year Resolution suggestion P.Allen! I will be planting several thousand trees this year. Keep up the good work!

5. Melinda Lott says:

This is a fabulous idea! I have a small pine tree that was given to me on Arbor Day and it will move from pot to ground this spring!
    Happy New Year to you, your family and staff!

6. Tamara says:

Greetings from the Pac. NW, Allen. Since I bought my near-empty property 18 yrs ago I planted quite a few trees. My resolution now, whether I want to or not, is to PRUNE trees! My roses, daylilies & irises, among other sun-lovers, have not obliged by turning into hostas, heucheras and azaleas, so I need to whack back the jungle and give them more daylight again. It’s very cathartic! (I do now have nice hostas, heucheras and azaleas though too.) My contribution to the tree population is to plant seeds from my Japanese maples. The “babies” are SO CUTE! Plus it’s a way to use up containers and they make wonderful gifts.
    Tamara, in Sherwood, OR

7. Gladys says:

I am a Master Gardener in Union County North Carolina. We have our Annual Tree Seedling sale on February 18, 2012. We have picked trees that are sutible for this area. Our lineup usually includes fruit trees and ornmentals.

8. Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

[...] Read More: pallensmith.com/blog/holiday/plant-a-tree [...]…

9. kevin says:

I planted a tree and now it is growing into a big tree. The tree is almost as big as the other trees but they have little bugs on them.My dad says that the bugs are called claw bugs because they crawl in your ears at night and claw at your brain. He said that is why he forgot my mothers birthday. I hate claw bugs!

10. Oksanna says:

What a great idea! Something to look forward to in this chilly weather – it’s going down to minus 25 here tonight. I think I’ll plant a coral bark maple – lovely green leaves in summer…and beautiful red bark in winter. Last year, I planted lots of lavender and Knock-out roses on your advice at the front of my house – can’t wait to see how it looks this year. Happy New Year, Allen, and thanks for the education!