Antiquing

I really love to treasure hunt in antique malls and stores around Arkansas, I always seem to find something I just can’t live without… and usually for a decent price, too! I spent a day last week with my production team at Crystal Hill Antiques and Twin City Antique Mall hunting for furnishings for the new eHow House… and we found some really fun things.

I started the day with a lazy meander through all the different booths. What will I find today!

I like to bring a notebook with me to write down things that I find, their price, and what booth they’re in-
otherwise it gets kind of confusing.

It may be a little pink for my taste, but it’s a good price… and look at this hand stitching! I think quilt tops can make great wall hangings.

You can haggle almost anything, you just have to be willing to ask. Depending on the booth, you can get a lot off of the original price!

I got a little distracted from my original task when I found the china. I’ve got to get some more Old Paris Porcelain… but the old stuff or the new stuff?

I’ve been looking to fill out my Old Paris collection. I like the older, simpler stuff… but maybe I should consider the later, more elaborate designs? It was made from the 1770s to the 1870s and was actually named after a factory in the oldest part of Paris- the Vieux Paris- and shipped to the US through New Orleans.

Ok back on task- I found this quilt at a second hand store and plan on using it in a kids bedroom at the new house… but what can I pair this with?

How about these mulberry transferware plates for $30? I think they’ll look great on a wall, and I can draw other colors from the quilt for my paint choices.

We had quite the successful day- four short clips filmed and lots of fun things haggled and purchased. Hope you stop in next time to hear about our next adventure.

16 Responses to Antiquing

1. Alaina Kelley Davis says:

Have been doing so for nearly 50 years. Most everything we own, except upholstered pieces, have come from flea markets, antique shoppes and malls. One of the largest and best i’ve ever visited and the finest in our area is The Depot At Gibson Mill in Concord, NC. Check out their FB page!

2. Linda L. says:

I was raised in a house with lots of old things. My mother and aunt both liked dishes and Victorian dolls. I liked old furniture and quilts. We would travel around together looking for things. It was a lot of fun. My home is furnished with flea market and antique finds, along with goodies from estate sales. I have some family keepsakes that my cousins didn’t want. They liked contemporary things. Lucky me!

3. Peggy says:

I love Crystal Hill Antique Mall. I hope you bought that mulberry transferware. I love it! I may have to sneak up there and see if they have any more.

4. peg wolfe says:

Great idea to bring a notebook with you. There’s an antique mall in Wilmette, IL that I like “meandering” through, to steal your word, and by the time I get to the end of the stalls (and there are seemingly THOUSANDS!), I can’t remember where I saw what. Thanks for the tip – MUCH obliged, Allen!

5. SandyM says:

I love this article, more of this kind of shopping, junk-tiquing, please! I also love to cruise thrift stores, antique malls, dumpster finds for treasures. Its amazing what people give away or can’t find additional uses for and what we get keeps the land fills cleaner. I love old colanders for plants in the garden, enamelware pots for watering plants, Large ladles that I hang with small succulents in the scoop.
    Quilt tops make great table cloths too, with a plastic cover over. Recycle whenever possible! Thank you Allen for this article. Keep up the good work!

6. juju says:

Any time you want a quilt top just let me know how much you want to pay for one just let me know.

7. Carol Thompson says:

Hi Allen,
    I absolutely love your clips on antiquing. Your tip about bringing along a notebook is great. Nearly every Saturday I check out a really great thrift store we have here in a suburb of Birmingham, AL, close to my home and I very rarely come away without a “souvenir” or several. I call it my therapy. I think I suffer withdrawal when I don’t go. We have quite a few thrift stores here and I’ve been to most of them. They’re all good. We also have a really great junk store nearby in Westover, AL, although I wouldn’t call what they have junk. They really have some beautiful things at great prices. We also have a great antique store here in Vestavia Hill, AL, where I live. In fact, I just went there last Friday and came away with two treasures. If you’re ever out this way, check them all out if you can. I’d be glad to give you driving directions if you ever decided to visit them. Thanks for all you do.

8. Margaret M says:

I always try to buy old stuff — often it’s better made. That said, I have to look forward to collecting nice antiques once there aren’t people tromping through the house with hockey sticks or firing nerf guns. I guess that will be when my boys move out, but before I have grandchildren. Still, I’ve gotten my sons interested in old prints.

9. Teresa S says:

Flea markets, antique stores, thrift stores and yard sales are where I find the best treasures! I’m lucky to have a few quilts and furniture pieces handed down from older relatives, and I’ve added some wonderful pieces found here and there. I live in the Missouri Ozarks, near Springfield, where we have a great selection of shops to enjoy. Come visit us sometime – I’ll be glad to share where all the best shops are!

10. meerah tomkiewicz says:

I love the thrill of the chase. There is a store nearby for which I should have frequent buyers points. My clothes, my jewelry, my art work, my linens, some furniture all from there over the last few years. I’ve been in there so often, I have even pet sit for some.
    Can not do without “thrifiting”