Say Yellow to Spring

Congratulations to Alice McMillan and Christine Czarnecki! Your comments are my picks for the book giveaway. Alice I loved all the ways your grandmother used yellow in the garden, especially the traces of yellow on the river rock. Christine, your blue and yellow toile dining rooms sounds so lovely. Hope your search for forsythia was a success!

There were so many amazing comments! Thank you to everyone for participating and for all the fab ideas for using yellow.

A recent visit with The Collected Tabletop author Kathryn Greeley inspired me to get reacquainted with my tableware collection. I’m hopelessly addicted to collecting cream ware, porcelain and transferware. An ardent collector herself, Kathryn showed me some clever ways to set a table with my pieces. With spring’s official arrival tomorrow I’m eager to use some of her tips to create a new tablescape to celebrate the season.

And since it is spring what better color to work with than yellow! Now I’ll admit, yellow isn’t the easiest color for me to work with so I went to designer Tobi Fairley for advice. She sent along this post with a few ideas for incorporating it into a tabletop.

Thanks so much to my good friend Allen for inviting me to be his guest today! Allen is always so kind to share his wisdom on my blog, and it’s such a treat to be here to share with you today!

Speaking of treats, this early summer weather has certainly brought us a few — like lush green landscapes and early blooms. Allen’s beautiful daffodils are always one of the highlights of an Arkansas spring and this year is no different.

The rolling hills of yellow have inspired me to share a few ideas for bringing this vibrant hue to a table setting indoors.
Here are a few of my favorite finds inspired by the daffodils at Moss Mountain Farm.

Aegean Dinner Plate /Yellow and White “Firenze” Fabric for a Tablecloth / White & Yellow Cake Stand /Lacquered Box / Linen Cocktail Napkins / Glass Decanter Set

Choose one of these or mix a few together to create a look that’s fresh as a daffodil!

Happy Decorating!

–Tobi

79 Responses to Say Yellow to Spring

1. I love using yellow when decorating my home..there are so many tones from the bright and happy daffodil yellow to the deeper acorn that accents my dining room wall. As I am also an avid collector of dishes, both old and new, linens, glassware and silver, I have lots of fun mixing and matching. Yellow is so versatile a colour. It mixes perfectly with sage and eggplant accessories, white and blue and even with a deep red. Some people are frightened to use yellow. I’ve found that adding yellow to your table in the form of napkins and placemats makes a delightful touch. A couple of springs ago I found both napkins and placemats with a cute embroided spring design. I have used them with my flowery blue, sage and yellow dishes…the combo screams spring and makes for a lovely Easter table setting!!! Thanks for talking about one of my favourite colours.

2. Ken Parks says:

I have a southside windowseat area that I have bordered with royal blue and yellow Mexican tile and painted the surround and wainscotting a bright sunny yellow. The adjacent kitchen area is accented with bold primary colors of red, yellow and blue.
    Yellow is such a clean and cheery color especially for Spring and I use that color in tableware, napkins, cups and highlight with Jonquils and yellow and white “daisy” mums as a centerpiece. The other colors, although quite bold seem to be “cooled down” by the yellow. It is just seems to welcome a new season of color after winter.

3. joan riker says:

MY YELLOW COMMENT: I love yellow for brightening up a room. One of my favorite ways to use yellow is to repeat stacks of “National Geographic” magazines in a bookcase (especially dark wood) It makes the shelves pop! In the kitchen, a dozen lemons in a tall glass jar makes me happy for weeks. Thanks, I want to come to Arkansas to see your beautiful garden home.
    Joan Riker, Amarillo Texas

4. MARGARET WITT says:

Yellow is just such a happy color and really brightens up my world.
    Whether its a bouquet or a bright tablecloth at Easter, it will cast a glow of sunshine in any room..

5. Pamela Jackson says:

I love to set the table for tea on a crisp, white cloth. I use my Spode Blue Italian china and create a low, round centerpiece of bright, yellow ranunculus in a crystal bowl. Add delicate, little crustless sandwiches and nothing could be prettier or more resfreshing.

6. Elizabeth Roderick says:

Yellow is my happy color! Yellow and pale blue…does anything say ‘Spring’ better than sunshine and sky?

7. Anne says:

Doesn’t yellow just sing Spring?! I believe every room should have a pop of red AND yellow so I incorporate yellow with art work, decorative pillows or fresh flowers. Currently on my dining room table I have yellow plates accented with white salad plates and fresh daffodils from my garden.

8. Belinda says:

Yellow is a color that can be seen from a distance and at most times of the day, so I like to put an arrangement of yellow flowers in the urns by the front door. I have also read that yellow is great for curb appeal if you are selling a property.

9. Sherry Underwood says:

I had an Angel Trumpet that was just too big for my largest pot so we set it outside. It has not even started coming out yet and it is the end of March. Do they have to be planted on a certain side of the house?

10. Rachel says:

As newlyweds, my husband and I purchased two boxes of old tiles with a yellow, blue and white design from an antique dealer who found them in Portugal. When we built a house 15 years later, we installed what was left of them as a backsplash in our cheerful kitchen. I also am fond of using lemons in a flow blue bowl on a server in place of flowers.