Season XI P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home

It wasn’t too long ago that Garden Home was just an idea kicking around in my head. It’s amazing what can happen in 11 years. The concept has since blossomed into 6 books, a half hour show on public television and the Moss Mountain Farm Garden Home. Going from concept to reality seemed pretty slow going while I was in the thick of it, but when I look back now I wonder how it all went by so quickly.

So here we are a decade and countless cups of coffee later ready to kick off Season XI of the P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home television series. While I’m puzzled over the speed of passing time, I am thrilled that we are celebrating the second decade of the show.

To mark the occasion I’d like to share a little photo montage I call “Where’s Brent?” Our videographer Brent has been with the company for 7 of the 11 seasons. A quiet but constant presence, Brent is the man behind all the captivating imagery in the shows. As you can see by some of these photos, he’ll do anything to get a good shot.

Getting a shot of blueberry fields in Oregon.

Brent and the camera all suited up to get cover of soy foam insulation going in.

A rare moment when Brent got out from behind the camera to check out microbes in soil.

This year we upgraded the camera and added a 2nd unit. Better HD quality and no more tapes to lug around. Was Brent excited? It's hard to say because he's a quiet fella, but I think I overheard him giggling the day it arrived.

Hanging out at EuroAmerican Propagators in California.

It happens so rarely here that I go a little crazy when it snows. Brent and our field producer Patrick are always there to get cover, even going so far as climbing on the roof & riding in helicopters.

Hanging with the guys fishing at the crack of dawn. Just in case you can't tell by the photo, it was bitter cold that day.

There are SOME perks to being our videographer. Last summer we took a sunset cruise in Chicago. Of course, Brent had to WORK, but it beats standing on a roof in the snow.

29 Responses to Season XI P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home

1. Linda L. says:

Congratulations to Brent, Allen and the entire crew for another year of wonderful television. Brent has a great eye and I know he must be happy to have one of the best jobs in Arkansas. It sure beats covering “hard news” and must bring you joy to travel and see all the things that you do. Hats off to the rest of the team, such as those who have written scripts with Allen through the years, directors, producers and others who without their contribution, the shows would not have had the quality that they do.

2. Kara Walker says:

Not only is Brent great behind the camera but he is a extraordinary nephew! Love you Brent!

3. Sandy Masingill says:

Sounds like a job I would like if I had your experience, Brent. I know you must love it; never a dull moment and a new learning, experience every day. Yep, but I imagine; it’s alot of hard work too. Keep up the good work, ya’ll.

4. Kim Lucak says:

Brent does a wonderful job capturing the details you are explaining. Your show is my favorite and I will watch reruns and still pick things up! Keep up the great work and cannot wait to see more from you and your team!

5. Congratulations and I look forward to the upcoming series. I watch every program and learn something each time. Thanks to Brent and the crew for producing a quality show.

6. Anne RH says:

Pictures of beautiful gardens and flowers via Allen’s and Brent’s inspiration is the next best thing to being able to produce them . Thanks!

7. Paula Murphy says:

Thanks for all the wonderful moments I have received from you from the newsletters, and PBS shows, along with such great ideas and recipes and information that have helped me in my garden, and entertaining. Thanks to you also Brent for the great photo’s that bring it all to life.
    Happy gardening to you and a blessed life.
    Paula Murphy

8. Barbara Ver Hage says:

It is winter here in Michigan but everytime I watch your program I want to go outside and do some gardening. Oh well I will just have to plan what to do and with your wonderful program and beautiful photography I am inspired. Thanks to all of you.

9. Helen P. says:

Thanks for all the great shows and garden information. Great job by all! Keep up the good work!