Season XI P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home

It wasn’t too long ago that Garden Home was just an idea kicking around in my head. It’s amazing what can happen in 11 years. The concept has since blossomed into 6 books, a half hour show on public television and the Moss Mountain Farm Garden Home. Going from concept to reality seemed pretty slow going while I was in the thick of it, but when I look back now I wonder how it all went by so quickly.

So here we are a decade and countless cups of coffee later ready to kick off Season XI of the P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home television series. While I’m puzzled over the speed of passing time, I am thrilled that we are celebrating the second decade of the show.

To mark the occasion I’d like to share a little photo montage I call “Where’s Brent?” Our videographer Brent has been with the company for 7 of the 11 seasons. A quiet but constant presence, Brent is the man behind all the captivating imagery in the shows. As you can see by some of these photos, he’ll do anything to get a good shot.

Getting a shot of blueberry fields in Oregon.

Brent and the camera all suited up to get cover of soy foam insulation going in.

A rare moment when Brent got out from behind the camera to check out microbes in soil.

This year we upgraded the camera and added a 2nd unit. Better HD quality and no more tapes to lug around. Was Brent excited? It's hard to say because he's a quiet fella, but I think I overheard him giggling the day it arrived.

Hanging out at EuroAmerican Propagators in California.

It happens so rarely here that I go a little crazy when it snows. Brent and our field producer Patrick are always there to get cover, even going so far as climbing on the roof & riding in helicopters.

Hanging with the guys fishing at the crack of dawn. Just in case you can't tell by the photo, it was bitter cold that day.

There are SOME perks to being our videographer. Last summer we took a sunset cruise in Chicago. Of course, Brent had to WORK, but it beats standing on a roof in the snow.

30 Responses to Season XI P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home

1. Cindy Menn says:

Congrats to all and thank you to all! “P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home” is my favorite show on PBS. I never miss it. And, fabulous job Brent! You have a great eye. It is not easy to capture the beauty of a garden on film but you do it show after show. Again, thanks for all of the beautiful shows.

2. Allen,
    Congrats on the amazing work you’ve accomplished in the past decade. It’s truly been a joy to watch. I remember about 10 years ago, standing in the middle of a friend’s home, watching the Weather Channel, and shrieking “that’s my Dad’s cousin!!!”. No surprise at all now, to see you gracing the cover of a book, a magazine spread, or a television screen. You share knowledge and experience with grace, and it’s a pleasure to learn from you.
    Best Regards,
    MC

3. Pat Kearns-Michaelsen says:

Allen, congratulations to and your crew! You are all doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

4. Rita Hopper says:

Great job with your show which I have enjoyed for quite a number of years – even catching it twice a week if I am fortunate! Keep up the good work – both plants and recipes!

5. It has been such a joy to discover you on PBS. AND how nice are you to give credit to the “behind the scenes” crew – they have done such a good job that my goal this year is a trip to Arkansas to the Garden Home for one of your events.

6. Congratulations it’s been a pleasure to watch you grow and I’m glad Brent is there to help you share it with all of us. Annie

7. Wonderful work and fun stories about your farm; I always forward the stories to my grandson in Va. who wants to study agriculture at V-tech in the fall Keep up the good work

8. Jeanna says:

Each season and each show, we learn more about gardening. You and Brent and the whole crew are still our favorite gardening show. As in gardening, your work is always rewarding. Jeanna

9. Pat says:

I visited the garden home retreat last summer. What a wonderful experience. I watch your show whenever it’s on morning or midnight and can visualize every scene as if I am still there. Wonderful dream you have brought to your viewers.

10. Bill Ridlehoover says:

Brent Walker does an excellent job of videoing and showcasing P.Allen’s endless knowledge of botanicals, American culture and world history. During your vast travels it’s Brent’s professional and artistic videography that allows the audience to tag along. Almost as if we’re traveling and learning right along with you.
    Congratulations Allen on your many years of success and your multitude of accomplishments. Your teamwork and your leadership is a pleasure to witness. Keep up the great work.
    P.Allen for President (just a suggestion, but you should definitely think about it)!!!