Two Days and One Pond

Last week we hosted our third annual Garden2Blog workshop. We get together with our Garden Home Partners and invite garden bloggers from around the country to spend two days with us at the Moss Mountain Farm Garden Home. It offers the chance for all of us to do something kind of old fashioned – have a face-to-face conversation.

This year our partner Laguna Ponds did something that I thought was pretty amazing. They installed a water feature in two days. Come to find out, it wasn’t amazing at all because it’s that easy to put in a pond. The hardest part about the project is digging the hole.

We placed the pond behind my brother’s new house where you can see and hear it from the back deck.

One day one the Laguna team dug the hole, put down the liner and edged the pond with native stone.

The Durashield Pond Liner they used is good for natural looking water gardens because it will conform to curves and shelves.

When they dug it the guys created a shelf around the hole for stacking native rock to secure and conceal the liner.

On the second day the pond was filled with water and the bloggers added plants.

Pebbles packed in around the native stone further hides the liner and gives the edge of the pond a finished look.

These floating planters make it possible to grow just about anything in the pond including flowers and herbs.

The waterfall leading to the pond. I think Chris and his wife Joyce are really going to enjoy the soothing sound of this!

14 Responses to Two Days and One Pond

1. Joni Suttles says:

Would love to have a waterfall like that, don’t have room for a big pond, this is a wonderful addition to property. I’m sure your brother and his family will enjoy this beautiful addition

2. Donald Burkart says:

Looks great

3. Barbara Ver Hage says:

I am sure your brother and wife will enjoy their pond for a long time. We have one and they will be surprised at all the creatures that come for drinks and to live in the pond.

4. I want one and I have a spring that could fill it naturally. I need more details.
    Deb

5. Joan Wortman says:

We have a (175) in ground preformed pond and a preformed waterfall at this time. Although we enjoy it and the fish it does limit the use of plantings and a natural look. Your article may have us rethink out plans for next year.

Thank you for the many helpful articles I recieve in your e-mails.

6. Denise Halvorson says:

Will never forget the first pond I ever dug! Circa 1983, back when the ONLY liners available were these garish bright blue plastic things. Remember reading about and trying to find Butyl, but it was not here in the U.S. I then got this wild idea that maybe if I followed an ancient African practice called “puddling” that my clay soil would actually earn its keep! For hours I stomped and stomped in my 18″ hole, (I’m sure the neighbors had a good laugh!) and the clay actually did hold — but alas only for about 24 hours. Wound up using the blue plastic till better material came along 2 yrs later. Would love to share the picture, if there were a way.

7. Polly Mayberry says:

I really enjoy the pond idea. I would like to learn more about the daily/monthly upkeep needed. What chemicals if any are used to maintain the water quality and stave off algae.
    Does the pond have a filter system?
    Sincerely,
    Polly

8. Kathleen S. Eckler says:

I would love a pond in my yard, but we do have an occasional snake going through my beds. I do know there would probably be more here if I had a water feature. I guess I can’t have one without the other.

Sincerely,
    Kathy

9. Mary McIntosh says:

I, too, would like more info about maintaining, cost and any negatives that don’t occur at the moment. I am in hot, hot Arizona and would be concerned about reflective sun hurting floating plants, algae and other possible problems. What about our dog drinking treated water? If it can fit in his mouth, it will.

10. Mary Jo Barker says:

We are currently putting a pond in our yard and love what you have done. Could you answer 2 questions for us?
    1. What kind of a pump are you using? Submersible?
    2. What are the plants that are growing along the edge of the pond and look like they are trailing down toward the water??
    Thanks so much!