Red Kale And Vegan Sausage Soup
- 1 pound vegan breakfast sausage substitute (matt used match sausage)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can great northern beans, drained
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound kale, stems removed and chopped
- 3 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add onions and garlic. Cook until soft and onions are translucent, for about 10 minutes.
Raise to high heat and add vegan sausage and cook additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking up the sausage.
Add remaining the ingredients, except cream, reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and the soup has thickened.
Remove the bay leaves and puree 2 cups of soup in a blender. Then return pureed soup to the pot and mix well. This will help thicken soup.
Stir in the heavy cream and adjust seasoning. Serve with crusty bread.
Time to prepare: 1 hour.
This recipe is vegetarian.