Happy Holidays from P. Allen Smith
Buttermilk Pecan Pie
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 pie crust
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil, and lightly grease the foil.
- Stir the pecan halves, light brown sugar, and dark corn syrup together in a small bowl. Spread the mixture out on the jelly-roll pan, and bake, stirring every 4 minutes, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the glaze thickens.
- Remove the pan from the oven and spread the pecans in a single layer on wax paper. Let the pecans cool completely, separating them with a spoon as soon as they cool.
- Lower the oven to 325°F.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, and pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Scatter the chopped glazed pecans evenly on top of the pie filling.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until set. Let the pie cool on a wire rack before serving at room temperature.