123 Done: Caprese Salad to Go
A home cooked dish is a popular way to welcome new neighbors. How about giving something unique that the homeowner can prepare in their new kitchen without a lot of fuss? This how-to provides you with a quick and easy way to make a thoughtful and edible gift.
You'll need the following ingredients:
- Mason jar with lid
- enough cherry tomatoes to fill the jar halfway
- small bundle of basil stems
- A small ball of fresh mozzarella wrapped in plastic
- A note card and piece of string
- Fill the Mason jar halfway full with cherry tomatoes and top with a small bundle of basil stems.
- Throw in a ball of fresh mozzarella wrapped in plastic and seal the jar.
- Tie on a note card with a hand-written recipe of how to make Caprese salad.
If the recipient can't make the salad that day, instruct them to store the cheese in the refrigerator. The basil will keep unrefrigerated for a few days in glass filled with water like a flower arrangement or an airtight bag with a damp paper towel.
Caprese Salad Recipe
- 3-4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper, ground to taste
- sea salt to taste
- fresh basil leaves
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- fresh mozzarella, sliced into rounds
Arrange the mozzarella on a platter. Top with tomatoes and basil. Sprinkle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.